Anarchy II (rh02)
by Don Miller
1. Except as noted below, Regular Diplomacy rules apply.
2. Each player begins with two Supply Centers. These Centers will be assigned at random by the GM, but in such a way so that there are at least two spaces (land or sea) in between the starting SC's. The first season will be WINTER 1900, during which each player may build an Army or Fleet in each owned space, except that an Army must be built in a center with no coastline. He should also name his country.
3. Until a player owns five Supply Centers, he may only build new units in his two original Home Centers.
4. Upon securing the ownership of five centers at the end of a Fall move and any Autumn retreats, a player should name a third owned center as a Home SC on the following Winter season. From this point on, these three centers are the only ones in which the player may build.
5. To achieve victory, a player must have 18 or more units on the board at the completion of a Winter turn. (Note there may be times when a player may own 18 SC's, but be unable build because his Home Centers are occupied).
Note that with only two starting units and 17 players, alliances will be all important. No player can survive very long by himself. The number of players will start dropping as early as Winter 1902.
((In effect, Anarchy II is the same game as Anarchy I, except that each player begins with two supply centers instead of one. The 17‑player version was mentioned by Miller in one of his many zines, SUPERCAL, but was never written up as a formal separate design. However, when the ARDA Catalog numbers were initially prepared, the 17‑player version was assigned the distinct CN "rs17". Due to an error, the full number was shown in all of the NAVB Catalogs as "rs17/07" rather than "rs17/17". This is now being corrected. Notes by Fred Davis))