A variant after Deluge by Kyalo Brooks
The setting - the Green-house effect and ozone holes have set off a progressive warming of the planet, vaporising the seas and making the radiation on the higher areas rise to unacceptably high levels. So the seas drain and become land areas, the higher ground becomes progressively more hostile so population centres move to lower ground, while the Sahara moves north.
1. The 1971 Diplomacy Rulebook will be used except where modified below.
2. Due to the greenhouse effect, the following sea areas change to land areas, in the following season (after moves, retreats, but before adjustments).
Season Sea Space changes to Land
A02 EMS, ION
S03 AEG, TYS, WMS
A03 BLA, ADS, GoL
S04 MAO, Caspian Sea becomes passable land space
A04 ENG, IRI
S05 HEL, BAL
A05 GoB, NAO, NTH, SKA, Ireland becomes passable
S06 BAR, NWG, Iceland becomes passable
If, after one of these changes, a fleet suddenly finds itself on a coastal province, no change results, but if it is stranded inland, and its owner has not specified to the contrary in his/her orders for that season that it not may change, it changes into an army (of the same nationality). If the owner has specified that it won't change, it disbands.
3. Due to the ozone holes, the following supply centres stop being supply centres (after the moves and retreats, but before the adjustments). In exchange, some of the lower lying areas become supply centres to compensate.
Season SC changes to Ordinary Space
A03 Smy, Tun
S04 Gre, Nap
A04 Ank, Con, TYS
S05 Por, Mar, Rom
A05 Apu, Bul, Spa
S06 AEG, Alb, Ser
A07 BLA, Cas
S08 GoL, Rum, Ven
A08 ADS, Sev, Tri
S09 Bud, Gal, Tus, Ukr, Vie
A09 Gas, Mos, Pie, Tri, War
S10 Boh, MAO, Mun, Sil, StP, Tyr
A10 Bur, Ber, Bre, Fin, Lvn, Par, Pic
S11 Bel, Den, ENG, Kie, Hol, Nwy, Swe
A11 All the rest except Ice
Season Ordinary Space changes to SC
A03 AEG, TYS
S04 Alb, Apu
A04 BLA, Cas, GoL
S05 MAO, GoL, Tus
A05 ADS, Gal, Gas
S06 Ukr, Tri, Boh
A07 Sil, Lvn
S08 Pic, Bur, Pie
A08 NWG, BAL, ENG
S09 Fin, Ice
4. Players are not restricted to building in home centres - they are all owed to build in any unoccupied centre they own.
5. Due to the advance of the Sahara, the following provinces become impassable (after the moves and retreats, but before adjustments). Any units in an area that becomes impassable are disbanded.
Season Spaces Become Impassable
A04 NAf, Tun, ION, EMS, Syr
A05 WMS, TYS, Nap, AEG, Gre, Amy, Arm
A06 Rom, Nap, Apu, Con, Ank
A07 Alb, Bul, Cas, Spa, Por, Ser
A08 Rum, BLA, GoL, Rum, Ven
A09 ADS, Tus, Sev, Bud, Tri, Ukr, Mar.
A10 Pie, MAO, Mos, Vie, Gas, Pie.
6. From 1905 onwards, Spring will be known as "Early Summer", Autumn known as "late Summer" and Winter will become "Between Summers".
7. The winner, if any, is the player with the final unit sitting in Iceland after Between Summers 1911.
First published in The Icarus Flight Manual No.9